This is what Harvard Medical School has to say about vitamin D benefits:
“Helps maintain normal blood levels of calcium and phosphorus, which strengthen bones. Helps form teeth and bones. Supplements can reduce the number of non-spinal fractures.
Many people don’t get enough of this nutrient. While the body uses sunlight to make vitamin D, it cannot make enough if you live in northern climes or don’t spend much time in the sun.”
Recommended amount 5 mcg (200 IU) for men/women 50 or under, 10 mcg (400 IU) for men/women between 50 to 70 and 15 mcg (600 IU) for men/women 71+
Vitamin D from a bottle is a fat-soluble vitamin, actually a hormone-precursor.
From a bottle you’ll get a vitamin D3 (calciferol) which is animal form of vitamin D. It’s not an active form of vitamin D but once you supplement with it, your body can then convert D3 to bio-active D. Real vitamin D in the body is not a vitamin at all. It’s a steroid hormone. This is not just a fancy snippet of medical info, but you really should care about this. Vitamin D being a hormone means that it really has an effect in your body at gene-level!
I’m not so impressed by FDA’s or by any others health departments recommendation for vitamin D daily intake. Why is that so? Finnish board of medical doctors, Duodecim have admitted that set daily amounts for vitamin D are not sufficient enough to cover the northern people vitamin D requirement. In Finland recommendation for daily intake was pushed up from 5 mcg to 10 mcg just couple years ago. That’s cool right? No! Studies show a clear data that 5, 10, 15 or even 20 mcg/day is not sufficient! A Canadian study shows that 15 mcg of vitamin D a day only raises northern peoples vitamin D levels to average of 27 nmol/l. Blood vitamin D molecule density should be over 50 nmol/l. Even better if it’s over 75, heck, I would like to keep it over 125 nmol/l. This amount has been linked to longevity. People, take vitamin D and get some sun in the summer!
I take anything from 50 to 125 mcg of vitamin D a day. My formula for supplementing this is very simple. From September to end of March I take 100- 125 mcg of vitamin D every day. At summer time at sunny days I don’t supplement and when it’s heavy cloudy I take 50 mcg a day. Once my 50 mcg tablets run out I have another bottle of 125 mcg vitamin D. Then I will take that 125 mcg every other day. Vitamin D has a pretty long half-life in the body, from 2 to 3 weeks. So it’s ok to me just to take a bigger quantity every other rainy day. Healthy body has a mechanic in place which prevents too much of vitamin D from accumulating. 125 mcg should be very save amount to most of us. If you live in a sunny climate, no further than 35 degrees from an equator then you probably have no problem with vitamin D, rest of us should supplement with it in winter time.
One neat trick to prevent sunburn during summer is to have your vitamin D levels high enough.
5 top vitamin D benefits
1. Prevent skin cancer
2. Supports hearts autonomic functions
3. May prevent a wide range of diseases
4. Anti-depression effect
5. I don’t get sunburns easily
iHerb supplement reviews Strong daily 10
iHerb supplement benefits:
- Supports my brain health
- Keeps my heart in great condition
- Energizes my mornings
- Seems to regulate my blood pressure
- It’s good for preventing dry eyes
- Prevents skin cancer
- Supports my heart’s autonomic functions
- May prevent a wide range of diseases
- Anti-depression effect
- I don’t get sunburns easily
- Better sleep quality
- Supposed bone health benefits (fracture count 0 after supplement)
- Much better firing musculature
- Lowered blood pressure
- Recovery aid from exercises
- Testosterone boost!
- Antioxidant benefits
- No flues
- Promotes my clean muscle mass
- Supposed cardiovascular health benefits
- Prevents cancer
- Supports my immune system
- Keeps my thyroids healthy
- Protects my brain
- Gives great hair and nails
- Energy level booster!
- Cardiovascular health and longevity
- Increased mental alertness
- Sex hormone boost (along with other supplements)
- Cell level function enhancer
- Cardiovascular health
- Bone density improvement
- Cancer prevention
- Keeps insulin in check
- Supports my longevity goals
- Keeps my heart in great condition
- Less eye fatigue
- Gives me steady energy
- My skin is fabulous!
- Thermogenesis booster (burns calories!)
- Supports my metabolism functions
- Cardiovascular health promotion
- Water and electrolyte balance
- The key to proper thyroid function!
- Increase my red blood cells
- Supposed bone health benefits (Fracture count 0 after supplement)
- Supports my nervous system
- Better mitochondria function
- More efficient energy conversion from oxygen and food.