This is what Harvard Medical School has to say about copper benefits:
“Plays an important role in iron metabolism. Helps make red blood cells.”
Recommended amount 900 mcg for men and for women
Copper is an essential dietary mineral. It keeps a proper homeostasis in your body.
Best form is copper gluconate.
Copper is something that might not be the most frequently reminded supplement. Nonetheless it’s one of the most important nutrients. As stated above, copper is the copper whom oversees that the right balance is retained in your body. Right amount of copper coupled with iron makes your body more efficient in generating energy from oxygen and from carbohydrates. Copper can attach to wide range of enzymes, antioxidants and amino acids. In these molecules copper functions mainly as electron donor. This means that it kills free radicals and let these molecules then work with higher levels of energy and with better capacity.
If your iron, hemoglobin or red blood cells levels are low, the problem might not be with insufficient iron intake. Iron is something that you probably are familiar within the supplement space. Iron is also much more abundant than copper in food. So if your struggle with iron, hemoglobin or red blood cells you might actually be insufficient with copper. Copper plays a huge role when it comes to iron absorption.
Getting you blood cell count up is not the only function for copper. Superoxide dismutate, yes, superoxide dismutate (SOD), might be something that your never heard of, but still it’s very important. Superoxide dismutate is an enzyme which acts in most carbon based living material. SOD-enzyme is an extremely powerful antioxidant which affects in mitochondria. It’s job is to neutralize oxygen free radicals in your cells. This means less oxidation stress and better energy from your individual cells. You may ask that how does copper bind to all this. Yes, bind is the right word. The most active SOD in eukaryote life-form group (including us humans…, and mushrooms) is bonded to copper ion (paired with zinc).
Do you know why cyanide is so lethal? Scary science tells that one pathway for cyanide to kill is prohibiting superoxide dismutate. No SOD and you are goner. That’s a bugger, SOD need copper. It’s essential to get enough!
I take 2 mg of twinlab copper gluconate every other day. Studies has shown that intake of less than 1 mg a day is linked to higher death rate. Right amount of copper is very important to your whole body. I’m always like a Dumbo when I read studies about something that I can add to my diet which affects positively at cellular level. Copper does just that.
5 top copper benefits
1. Increase my red blood cells
2. Supposed bone health benefits (Fracture count 0 after supplement)
3. Supports nervous system
4. Better mitochondria function
5. More efficient energy conversion from oxygen and food.
iHerb supplement reviews Strong daily 10
iHerb supplement benefits:
- Supports my brain health
- Keeps my heart in great condition
- Energizes my mornings
- Seems to regulate my blood pressure
- It’s good for preventing dry eyes
- Prevents skin cancer
- Supports my heart’s autonomic functions
- May prevent a wide range of diseases
- Anti-depression effect
- I don’t get sunburns easily
- Better sleep quality
- Supposed bone health benefits (fracture count 0 after supplement)
- Much better firing musculature
- Lowered blood pressure
- Recovery aid from exercises
- Testosterone boost!
- Antioxidant benefits
- No flues
- Promotes my clean muscle mass
- Supposed cardiovascular health benefits
- Prevents cancer
- Supports my immune system
- Keeps my thyroids healthy
- Protects my brain
- Gives great hair and nails
- Energy level booster!
- Cardiovascular health and longevity
- Increased mental alertness
- Sex hormone boost (along with other supplements)
- Cell level function enhancer
- Cardiovascular health
- Bone density improvement
- Cancer prevention
- Keeps insulin in check
- Supports my longevity goals
- Keeps my heart in great condition
- Less eye fatigue
- Gives me steady energy
- My skin is fabulous!
- Thermogenesis booster (burns calories!)
- Supports my metabolism functions
- Cardiovascular health promotion
- Water and electrolyte balance
- The key to proper thyroid function!
- Increase my red blood cells
- Supposed bone health benefits (Fracture count 0 after supplement)
- Supports my nervous system
- Better mitochondria function
- More efficient energy conversion from oxygen and food.